The Importance of a Bus Driver Training Program
Public transportation drivers and school transportation drivers are responsible for the safety of multiple individuals every day. Bus drivers must be the safest drivers on the road, and that is only possible with a state-of-the-art bus driver training course. In
the state of Ohio, specific certifications and requirements must be met by each bus driver. To have the best bus drivers on the road, public transportation management must invest in a high-quality bus driver training course.
Bus Driver Training Course in Ohio
Most requirements and specifications are set by the Public Transit Agency Safety plan. The bus driver training course focuses on the outcomes and changing the behaviors of the trainee to avoid any unsafe practices or methods. Many popular training companies create driving training programs that are purchased and distributed by managers. Popular Ohio training companies create extensive training programs to condense the training information.
Transit Operator Development courses focus on 18 unsafe behaviors that lead to many accidents. The goal of the training course is to change these 18 behaviors to remove or reduce the risk of accidents. The course teaches that when the recommended steps are followed, every one of the unsafe behaviors that are conscious and purposeful can be changed through effective training. Once unsafe behaviors are studied, they can be avoided. The training addresses the idea of WIIFM (What’s In It for Me). It is in the best interest of the trainees to follow the safe behaviors taught.
How To Implement The Bus Driver Training Course For Existing Operators
To ensure existing bus drivers are up-to-date on their safety protocols, there are 6 recommended programs to follow:
- Professionalism and Customer Service: Professionalism is necessary to deliver quality service
- Preventing Intersection Accidents: 61% of all accidents occur at intersections
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Awareness: Pedestrian accidents can be some of the most tragic and catastrophic accidents
- Hazard Identification and Mitigation: Hazard identification training identifies the 18 unsafe behaviors and the safe behaviors that can be removed or reduced
- LLLC Defensive Driving: This program teaches the four Defensive Driving practices of Look Ahead, Look Around, Leave Room, and Communicate
- Safety Best Practices: Best practices
Once existing bus drivers have completed the Best Safety Practices training, managers should challenge them to think of ideas of how to implement these safety practices.
High-Quality Bus Driver Training Program
Leading bus driver training programs in Ohio offer a variety of programs that can be distributed among companies.
- Transit 2020 Operator Development Course: Demonstrates the safest actions to show drivers the correct responses the first time, and every time
- Paratransit 2020 Operator Development Course: Contains the highest quality bus training videos from professional narrators
- Safety Leadership Course: Creates safety norms that leaders can follow to achieve better behaviors
- Trainer Certification: Trainers have the most influence over their team of bus drivers. This course helps bus driving trainers to become as professional as possible
- Bus Garage Safety/OSHA Compliance: This training is geared towards shop mechanics. It includes safety programs for 23 subjects to ensure all employees follow the best safety practices
- CDL Written Test: This test is for transit, motorcoach, and paratransit drivers to increase their success of passing the test on their first try
To prepare your public transportation drivers for success, invest in a high-quality bus driver training course. This will ensure your employees meet state
requirements, as well as protect themselves and passengers.